“Why doTERRA” is the unspoken question that lingers behind every conversation with a newbie to oils. What’s so special about doTERRA oils? Why do I need to be so particular about which ones I use? Does it really matter?
In short, the plain and simple answer is yes. It really does matter what brands you trust your health with.
I use doTERRA essential oils exclusively because they are 100% pure and safe for me and my kids. Now, you may be wondering “but I see essential oils in Target and Walmart all the time and they all say 100% pure. What’s the difference? Why should I go to doTERRA instead of just buying from Target?” The reason why is that essential oils are not regulated by the FDA. Companies that produce oils are able to get away with putting anything they want in their oils and even though they slap on the “100% pure” label, the oil is not. Heavy metals, toxins, other chemicals, even other oils that they don’t put in the ingredient list get into the bottles. Sourcing is suspicious at best, especially when there is a lack of information available to the public. doTERRA has changed all that. They are committed to completely pure and potent oils that do what they say they should do. There is a myriad of studies that prove this; my favorite is this one from Roseman University of Health Sciences. Their study found that “each of the dōTERRA oils had quantifiable and reproducible biological activity”, meaning that the biological properties of the oils assist the body and support our systems.
Below I will discuss how doTERRA ensures purity and potency in each and every bottle of oil they distill, but first let me define my terms. “Pure” means that there are no foreign contaminants or fillers (the heavy metals and chemicals I mentioned above). Potent means that each plant used for distillation was grown in a part of the world where that plant grows best, resulting in the ideal natural chemistry for that plant. When you have the ideal natural chemistry, the essential oil does exactly what we want it to do for our health.
doTERRA ensures ideal purity and potency through their CPTG testing system. It stands for Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade and it means that every bottle the company sells has been put through an intense testing process. In total, there are eight tests doTERRA uses.
- Organoleptic testing (testing using the sense — they look for funky smells or weird colors)
- Microbial testing (testing for the presence of biohazardous microorganisms)
- Gas chromatography (determines which components are present in the oil)
- Mass spectrometry (used together with gas chromatography to further determine the composition of the oil)
- Fourier-transform infrared spectroscopy (FTIR – identifies the structural components of the oil)
- Chirality testing (ensures no synthetic elements are present)
- Isotopic analysis testing (determines which isotopes are present and at what amounts)
- Heavy metal testing (shows the amount of heavy metal content)
The amount of dedication and commitment doTERRA has shown toward ensuring clean, safe products is why I will only use their oils.
As always, leave your questions and comments below! I love connecting with you guys.